Summer term registrations are now open. Classes begin May 21, 2018.
Join the many students who have experienced the convenience of online theory.
Tan Music Online Recent Results
Chloe Yip, Richmond Hill ON ARCT History, 94
Isaac Hernando, Stettler AB ARCT Analysis, 88
Grant Li, Mississauga ON ARCT Harmony, 86
Amy Tang, Mississauga ON Level 10 Harmony, 90
Kevin Zhu, Calgary AB Level 10 History, 90
Carissa Balagot, Mississauga ON Level 9 Harmony, 92
Sophia Liao, Kelowna BC Level 9 History, 86
View more recent results
When do you need theory lessons?
If you are studying Royal Conservatory curriculum and are currently in Level 5 practical or higher, theory lessons are mandatory for you in order to receive certification for your level.
If you are in:
- Level 5 you need Level 5 Theory
- Level 6 you need Level 6 Theory
- Level 7 you need Level 7 Theory
- Level 8 you need Level 8 Theory
- Level 9 you need Level 9 Harmony AND Level 9 History
- Level 10 you need Level 10 Harmony AND Level 10 History
- A.R.C.T. you need A.R.C.T. Harmony, Analysis and History
You may also be eligible for high school credits if you complete the following (Ontario criteria. Please check the RCM website for criteria in your province):
- Grade 7 practical and Level 7 Theory equals one Grade 11 credit
- Grade 8 practical and Level 8 Theory equals one Grade 12 credit
The mark that will appear on your transcript is the average mark of your practical and theory examination results. Talk to your guidance counselor for more details.
About the instructor
Stephan Tan has studied at the University of Toronto for his Bachelor of Music in History and Theory as well as his Master of Arts in Musicology. He is an A.R.C.T. Gold Medal Award recipient from the RCM in Piano Teaching, an RCM Theory examiner for Rudiments, Harmony, and History and has been teaching theory for over 20 years in the GTA and online theory for over 8 years.
His communication and teaching methods are effective and efficient and his number one priority is the good success of each of his students.