Level 10 Harmony and Counterpoint Online
This is a twelve week course (eleven for the summer session) that will prepare you for the RCM written examination. In Level 10 Harmony and Counterpoint, you will expand on your knowledge gained in Level 9 adding additional harmonic vocabulary, composition, musical structures such as fugue, sonata, rondo, and more.
When do I need this course?
Students of Level 10 RCM should be learning harmony in addition to practical lessons. The exams for RCM Level 8 Theory and Level 9 Harmony are required before learning this course.
In addition to Level 10 RCM Harmony, students need to complete Level 8 Theory, Level 9 History and Harmony, and the Level 10 practical examination to achieve Level 10 certification.
Here's How RCM Level 10 Harmony
Online Course Module
The online course will be added to your profile page. There you will see the entire course where you can follow each step from video lessons to homework.
Lessons and Tutorials
Each week, students will first view video lessons covering the material of the week. On the appropriate day and time, students will then log into a live, one hour online class to receive further instruction.
Students will be assigned homework to be submitted on a weekly basis. This work will be evaluated and returned to each student with valuable feedback. Eventually, complete previous examinations will be assigned which will also be graded and returned with feedback.
What Exactly Will I Learn?
- An expansion on all principles learned in Level 9 Harmony and Counterpoint
- The construction and use additional harmonic vocabulary: viio7, viiø7, V9, V13
- Harmonization in keyboard style
- Completing Bach chorales, 4-part harmonizations in which a number of voices will be missing in increased complexity to that of Level 9
- Analysis of musical excerpts: labeling chords and identifying notes that do not belong in these chords
- Analysis of a fugal exposition and a study of the components
- Formal analysis of a composition in sonata, rondo, or compound ternary form
- Composition of a sixteen-measure composition in binary or rounded binary form incorporating two-part contrapuntal technique
What Should I Know Before I Start?
Level 10 Harmony and Counterpoint is a direct continuation of Level 9 Harmony. It is very important that you are very comfortable with the concepts learned in Level 9. This is why I recommend learning Level 10 right after Level 9.
If it has been a long time since you've studied RCM harmony, be sure you review your material prior to the start of class. For purposes of review, Level 10 Harmony students may request the course material of Level 9 Harmony for no additional charge. Having a solid foundation from Level 9 is crucial to having success in this level.
You might be wondering why I use the Intermediate Harmony textbook rather than the Celebrate Theory one. While the RCM Celebrate Theory textbook is a wonderful book, I feel that the Intermediate Harmony text is much easier to follow, especially for younger students. The presentation is simpler and explains the concepts very clearly. Don't worry about the 2016 Syllabus requirements. We cover everything you need to know for the exam!
Weekly Live online Tutorials take place on
Mondays at 7:45pm Eastern Time
Spring Session: February to May
Summer Session: May to August
Fall SEssion: September to December
Consult the Course Schedule for more details.
Level 10 Harmony and Counterpoint